Chicken in Garlic-Vinegar Sauce
- 3-3 1/2 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 7 teaspoons of Olive Oil Marketplace Shallot w/Garlic (purchase here), divided
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 cup of minced shallots
- 16 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup of Olive Oil Marketplace Sherry Vinegar (purchase here)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil Marketplace Duck butter(purchase here) or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons of finely minced fresh chives
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add half the chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a large plate.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot.
- Add the remaining chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to the plate.
- Heat 2 more teaspoons oil.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot. Pour in broth and then carefully nestle the thyme sprigs among the chicken pieces (or stir in dry thyme).
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, duck butter or mustard, tomato paste and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Combine tomatoes, chives, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt in another small bowl; reserve for garnish.
- When the chicken is done, remove to a plate, discarding the thyme sprigs (if using). Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute.
- Serve garnished with the tomato mixture.