Olive Oil Popcorn
A better way to make this fun and healthy snack!
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil Marketplace Butter EVOO (or try a flavored Olive Oil)
- 1 cup high quality popcorn kernels
- Fine Sea Salt**
- 1/4 cup Italian Seasoning
Optional extras: 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese,
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat. Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels
- into the oil and cover the pan. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn
- kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds.
- (This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds
- brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are
- put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.)
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once.
- Once the popping begins, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the
- burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the
- popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the
- heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl. Add salt
- to taste (and Parmesan cheese and seasoning if you would like) and toss.
- **if you add salt to the oil in the pan before popping, when the popcorn pops,
- the salt will be well-distributed throughout the popcorn