Chicken Sausage Calzone
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil Marketplace Parmesan Garlic EVOO (purchase here), divided
- 6 ounces of Italian chicken sausage, sweet or hot, casings removed
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound of prepared pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the sausage and spinach to a large bowl; stir in mozzarella, ricotta, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 6-inch log and divide into 5 equal pieces. Pat and roll each piece into a 6-inch circle.
- Place 1/2 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Cut several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush the calzones with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones in the lower third of the oven until browned on top, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with Marinara sauce