Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3-4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts About 2 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 2 Large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil Marketplace EVOO - Purchased Here
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil Marketplace Avocado Oil - Purchased Here
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Granulated sugar depending on how sweet you want the sauce
- 4 tablespoons Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch or slightly larger pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate.
- Heat the both Oils (the Avocado Oil will help keep the EVOO from breaking down with the high heat) in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot and rippling.
- Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 20-30 seconds on each side until the crust is golden but the chicken is not all the way cooked through.
- Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in a 9X13-inch baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Serve over hot, steamed rice.
If you like extra sauce, double the sauce ingredients – pour half over the chicken and follow the recipe instructions; pour the other half in a small saucepan and cook the sauce on the stovetop at a simmer for 8-10 minutes until it reduces and thickens. Serve it on the side of the chicken.
CLICK HERE or the highlighted products within the recipe to order products suggested for recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!