Easy Whole-Grain Crepes
- 1/2 cup of whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil Marketplace Butter EVOO
- 1/2 cup of seltzer water
- Process whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar (for sweet crepes), salt, eggs, milk and oil (or butter) in a blender or food processor until smooth, scraping the sides once or twice.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slowly whisk seltzer into the batter.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with Olive Oil spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Ladle 1/3 cup batter into the center of the pan; immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread evenly over the bottom.
- Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Using a heatproof silicon or rubber spatula, lift the edge, then quickly grasp the crepe with your fingers and flip.
- Cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 20 seconds. Slide onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the pan as needed and stacking crepes as you go. If the pan begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium.
- As you prepare your filling, cover crepes with a clean kitchen towel or keep warm in a 200°F oven.
- To assemble, place a crepe on a clean cutting board. Spread a filling of your choice in the center, leaving a 1- to 2-inch border.
- Fold in the sides to make a square shape, leaving a “window” in the center.
- Press down on the corners, as necessary, to help keep the crepe folded.