Fresh from the skillet, these flatbreads are perfumed with intense sweet caramelized onions. They’re wonderful dipped into a little soup or to serve alongside a saucy curry.
- 3/4 cup of white whole-wheat flour (see Note)
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil Marketplace House Blend EVOO divided
- Sea salt, for garnish (optional)
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in water and 2 tablespoons oil and whisk just until smooth. Stir in caramelized onions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush the pan with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Using about 1/4 cup batter for each, pour the batter for 2 flatbreads into the pan and spread each into an approximately 5-inch circle using the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky salt (if using) and cook until the bread looks bubbly and mostly dry, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the second side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the skillet and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium, brush the pan with more oil and cook 2 more flatbreads, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining oil and batter.
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
- How To Caramelize Onions: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add 2 cups sliced onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes about 1/3 cup.
- Wrap in foil and keep at room temperature for up to 1 day. Reheat in a skillet or in the oven.
CLICK HERE or the highlighted products within the recipe to order products suggested for recipe.